DIARY- A diary is a record (originally in handwritten format) with discrete entries arranged by date reporting on what has happened over the course of a day or other period. A personal diary may include a person's experiences, and/or thoughts or feelings, including comments on current events outside the writer's direct experience.
(From Wikipedia)

Discretion is a word or concept that I must admit is becoming extinct in today's society. There once was a time when people kept personal thoughts and feelings to themselves, things that were better unsaid weren't said or events that were better unknown weren't told. BUT NOW, people feel the need to speak and inform the world of every split second or moment in their lives, even the ones that are irrelevent to one's knowledge. I don't know how many status updates that pop up in my news feed on a daily basis that are just filled with the most oblivious thoughts. I must admit, that sometimes I truly dislike the feature of status updates being the first page you see when you log on to facebook. Now, the feature has it's benefits at times, I mean how else would I have known that Concord Mills Mall here in Charlotte just opened a Popeyes Chicken Joint! Thanks to that post, that was trul significant knowledge. But I am talking about the updates such as... "I just took a dump!" or "Good night facebook" or "I think I am going to wear my red shoes today." NOBODY CARES!!!! Thanks to technology and social networking, people feel the need to utilize there facebook pages and twitter accounts and whatever social device they are addicted too, as a diary. Please spare me and save your personal life people! Before you have none!! Where once these irrelevant thoughts took up space on a sheet of paper in a journal no one would have cared to see besides a little brother in corky tv shows and movies, they are now taking up perfectly good space on my facebook page where something more meaningful could be placed.

Now back to this whole discretion piece. Facebook alone has become a HUGE target for companies and businesses to get information from people. If you think that you have PRIVACY on facebook, please think again my friend. For that reason, I shake my head at individuals who place their contact information on facebook, phone numbers, address, and even where they are located at any given moment when they "Check In." Facebook is a stalkers dream invention, not saying that was the intention when Mark created this million dollar empire. And what about the individuals who have lost their jobs from posting comments during work hours such as "I'm Bored" or after work hours about how much they hate their jobs! Three words people...GET A DIARY!
The point of this blog is to encourage people to take a personal inventory on the things that you put out on social media sites. This new timeline app allows individuals to see when and where you posted comments and events. Self expression is awesome, but having privacy, a personal life, and a peace of mind is beyond AWESOME.
Article on Facebook Privacy Issues: http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/technology/technolog/consumer-reports-facebook-privacy-problems-are-rise-749990
Written By: Jimmeka Anderson
No comments:
Post a Comment