Monday, July 2, 2012

"There's So Much More Than What You See..."

I ♥ MARILYN, BUT...

I must admit that I have always heard and knew of the name "Marilyn Monroe"  my entire life, but considering that this female icon, was one that was not of my generation, I really had to take the time and figure out the fascination of this woman with such a beautiful face and thousands of breath taking photos. One of my sorority sisters called me about a month ago and sparked my interest with finding out more about the Marilyn movement. She said to me "Jimmeka haven't you noticed how EVERYONE has this ladies pics in frames, shirts and in even her quotes for their facebook statuses!"


I laughed. Now truthfully, I know there are many young ladies that wear Marilyn's face on their shirts and buy the photos because she is indeed gorgeous, they think it's cute, or also because she is what is HOT right now. But, then I know there are women out there that TRULY know this woman's story and has placed her as an icon in their life because they can relate, or they feel moved by more than the pretty face and piercing pics. I have a line sister that LOVE's herself some "Norma Jean," and for those of you out there that do not know who that is...please retire the Marilyn shirts and pics! And I am not going to lie, once you read about Marilyn's life, it's hard not to fall in love with her spirit. BUT... here is some of my concerns.

Although Marilyn is an icon, she is not on the top of my list for icons, and it saddens me that when I walk in a store or try to look for shirts and framed art that I can not find some of my favorite women icons and those that have inspired my life.

(Above: OMG Girlz picture with painting of Marilyn Monroe)
Question: Who determines an icon? Is it the world, the media, or an individual?

What determines an icon? Is it sex appeal? Is their beauty just based off of their looks? What about education, what about out of this world talent?

It's really simple now a days for the media to choose who they feel is the most beautiful woman in the world and to plaster her on every magazine, photo, picture and print material and make you think that this person is just that... the most beautiful, the biggest icon of our time, someone women should aspire to look like, to be like. But I beg to differ, here are some women that go down in MY BOOK of icons and have inspired me.

JOSEPHINE BAKER- This woman danced with her heart, she was AMAZINGLY talented and I look up to her for her drive to make a difference in this world through her art and her humanitarian spirit.
"Beautiful? It's all a question of luck. I was born with good legs. As for the rest... beautiful, no. Amusing, yes."
-Joesphine Baker

DOROTHY DANDRIDGE- Now when you say "breathtaking" this is what I think...Ms. Dandridge, the epitome of class, talent and beauty. Dandridge and Marilyn Monroe were actually best friends. Both were beautiful women. Dandridge was a fighter in the 40's and for that she is an icon to me.
"If I were white, I could capture the world."
-Dorothy Dandridge
AUDREY HEPBURN- Okay so yes Audrey has reached a level of respect nationally and has became a household icon, almost on Marilyn's level, but not quite in the media. When I think of classic movies from the 60's, I think of Audrey! She is the definition of classic everything! Audrey was listed as one of the top 3 actresses of ALL TIME. Now that is icon status.
"As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others."
-Audrey Hepburn
BILLIE HOLLIDAY- Her voice alone and her contribution to the world of music makes her an icon. You can not think of the "Blues" and not mention Billie. You can truly feel her passion and soul.
"I never had a chance to play with dolls like other kids. I started working when I was six years old."
-Billie Holliday
"If you copy, it means you're working without any real feeling. No two people on earth are alike, and it's got to be that way in music or it isn't music."
-Billie Holliday
ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY- I LOVE Elizabeth Montgomery! When I was a kid my favorite show to watch was Bewitched with my mom. She has such a sophisticated aura and style to herself. On top of that she was a great actress.
"Like most people, I secretly hope that it's true – that there are witches like Samantha, and that families like hers really do exist."
-Elizabeth Montgomery

DIANA ROSS- She is an icon because of her uniqueness. Diana was innovative and the face of beauty in the 60's and 70's. She represented style and great talent.
"You can't just sit there and wait for people to give you that golden dream. You've got to get out there and make it happen for yourself."
-Diana Ross

TINA TURNER- So anyone that knows me, knows that when I was a little girl, I thought I was Tina Turner. When "What's Love Got To Do With It?" hit the screen in the 90's starring Angela Bassett, I fell in love with Tina's story, her struggle and her voice. This woman is the epitome of what an icon represents. She changed the game and "ROCKED" the world!
"I didn't have anybody, really, no foundation in life, so I had to make my own way. Always, from the start. I had to go out in life the world and become strong, to discover my mission in life."
-Tina Turner
DIANE CARROLL- When I think of class and sophistication, I think Diane Carol. A beautiful actress that made being black and woman attractive on screen in the 60's and 70's.
"You have to keep your sanity as well as know how to distance yourself from it while still holding onto the reins tightly. That is a very difficult thing to do, but I'm learning."
-Diane Carroll

WHITNEY HOUSTON- Between Janet and Whitney, these women are my favorite female icons of ALL TIME! I don't know if it is because they were during my generation, but these women were just BAD!!!! I wanted to be them growing up...Big Time! (Pre-addiction Whitney) Style, talent, and beauty were ALL on point!
"I finally faced the fact that it isn't a crime not having friends. Being alone means you have fewer problems."
-Whitney Houston
JANET JACKSON- Janet in the 80's and early 90's was just phenomenal! Even today, if you catch me at a stop light jammin super hard, I am probably listening to Janet's control album! Like I said, Whitney and Janet are my ALL TIME favorite icons...no one compares in my eyes! lol They are two totally different type of artists, but they both move me!
"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."
-Janet Jackson
PHYLICIA RASHAD- Phylicia is a female icon to me because she made being a mother, being intelligent and confident BEAUTIFUL on the Cosby show! When I was young, I said, when I grow up and become a "WOMAN" I want to be just like Clair Huxtable. Thanks Phylicia!
"There's always something to suggest that you'll never be who you wanted to be. Your choice is to take it or keep on moving."
-Phylicia Rashad
JASMIN GUY- A fashion icon, talented actress and dancer, Jasmin Guy was one of the "IT" women on my list in the late 80's and early 90's. Pure beauty and talent is what I think of when I think Jasmin Guy!
"Life is way better than TV. I recommend it to anyone who has forgotten they have one."
-Jasmin Guy
MOLLY RINGWALD-So I am a fan of 80's movies and if I had to choose my all time favorite icon of the 80's, it would not be the lady from Weird Science, it would be Molly Ringwald. I loved her style, and to me she represented a unique look that wasn't the stereotypical idea of beauty. She was a trendsetter! 
"I don't really believe in regret. I think you can always learn from the past, but I wouldn't want a different life."
--Molly Ringwald

SALT N PEPA- Okay, so these women "JAMMED." Being woman and cool didn't exist until these ladies hit the scene if you ask me. When I look at Rihanna and some of today's artist and their style, I can't do nothing but think of Salt N Pepa. They are icons of hip hop and trendsetters of style!
"It ain't nothing but a SHE thing"
-Salt N Pepa
MARIAH CAREY- So first off, let me start by saying that at my 4th grade talent show I sang my own version of "Hero" by Mariah Carey, lol. That is when I realized, everyone can not do what this lady does with their voice. She is a musical genius with undescribable raw talent. Her voice makes you melt and touches your heart. This lady is definitely an icon!
"If you see me as just the princess then you misunderstand who I am and what I have been through."
-Mariah Carey

AALIYAH- Such a beautiful voice, with a beautiful spirit. Her music is iconic and lives on today! When I was in middle school, I thought I was Aaliyah with the one eye swoop with my hair, big plaid shirts with white tank tops underneath!
"I stay true to myself and my style, and I am always pushing myself to be aware of that and be original."
-Aaliyah
JILL SCOTT- This lady is my icon today! Her soul and beauty shines through her music and her radiant personality. When I think of beauty, confidence, style and sex appeal...I think of my girl Jilly from Philly!
"I think every individual has his or her own power, and it's a matter of working, taking time and defining what that power is."
-Jill Scott

Don't let the media decide for you who should be considered an icon in your life. Really think about those that inspire who you are, or what you want to represent. And if the store does not have that person's shirt on the rack make your OWN! I know I am...and pictures will come :-)

Written By: Jimmeka L. Anderson


No comments:

Post a Comment