So Long Shame - Helllloooo Self Esteem!
A few days ago, one of my nearest and dearest posted the following image on Facebook.
The first time I glanced at this "magazine", I scanned the titles, looked at the image, and moved on - I never even noticed it was a fake.
How sad is that?
That my experiences with female-focused magazines are so negative, so intertwined with shame and insecurity that this mock magazine didn't even stand out from the crowd. The contradictory messages about sex, outrageous expectations and suggestions about body image, the scare tactics, even the dauntingly beautiful actress with a better-than-you caption - this artistic compilation nails the approaches of everyday fashion magazines. These mixed messages keep readers in a vicious cycle of insecurity and consumerism, operating under the notion that if you feel bad about yourself, you will pay whatever it takes to "fix your problems".
And the worse part? It works.
A 2007 study conducted by The University of Missouri-Columbia concluded that 100% of the women participating in the study - regardless of weight or self image - reported a lower rate of satisfaction with their bodies after looking at magazines than they did prior to the magazine exposure. (Read the full article here :: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070326152704.htm)
This lowering of self-esteem takes all sorts of dangerous forms and shapes. In fact, just while researching information for this blog post I encountered an in-your-face example of the dire consequences this cycle of toxic self-hate can cause. I found blog after blog of so called "Thispiration" - of girls encouraging one another to mistreat their bodies and pursue anorexia at all costs.
I cried.
Sitting in the middle of a coffee shop, I sat crying. I sat crying for every girl I saw on that site. For every girl that had suffered at the hands of it. For every girl that felt like weight loss was their only control. For every girl I knew who had been enabled by such suffering. For every second, minute, hour I had criticized my own body and felt insignificant because of exposure to these lies.
This is why self-expression and awareness are priceless - PRICELESS. This is why we MUST break the cycle of shame and guilt that feeds the cycle of self-destructive consumerism.
How?
There are a million-and-one ways we can fight this, but here are just a few tips to get started.
1. Make a new (half) year's resolution to say goodbye to shame and helllllooooo to self esteem! With the warm sunshine of Summer 2012 let's welcome a new love for ourselves, our minds, and our bodies!
2. Get educated. Read up on a few sites that allow you to examine the ways that the media tricks your mind. Ask your teachers about having I AM not the MEdia Inc to host a program at your school. If you're in college, sign up for a Gender Studies and Media course.
3. Post a picture of a Shero on your mirror! Find a woman (or man!) who you respect for their smarts, their personality, and/or their healthy, real body and keep it nearby to remind yourself of your inner hero. Watch their TV shows, support their products, like their Facebook page - do whatever you need to do to surround yourself with positive influence!
4. Talk it up! Be real with your friends about the effects of media exposure. Create natural supports for yourself and be a supportive friends for others. In the daily grind, good friends can make the difference!
5. Share your story with us! Send us an email or Facebook message detailing the ways that you (brilliant YOU) combat the surrounding insecurity. We will compile all our responses into a comprehensive "How To" in a future blog post! Email us here :: leah@iamnotthemedia.org.
So let's get this party started people! Looking forward to hearing from you all soon!


No comments:
Post a Comment