Thursday, February 23, 2012

"That's What She Said."

ME-REPRESENTATION

This past Valentine's Day, I had the pleasure of repping I AM not the MEdia Inc. at an unbelievably awesome event on UNCC's campus - Miss Representation. If you've never heard of MIss Representation, take a few minutes and check out the trailer here.

Though the documentary focuses primarily on women, the lessons to be learned are universal - if you leave the power of representation up to the media, no one wins. Women are pressured into low self-esteem in a pursuit of unobtainable "perfect" beauty. Men are given the idea that in order to prove one's masculinity, a man needs to be violent, aggressive, and insensitive. And what about teens? All too often, television shows, music videos, and movies portray teens as:

Irresponsible
Selfish
Reckless
Drug and alcohol-crazed
Followers/Group-thinkers

So what real effect does this have on teens? Art and media shape our perceptions of reality. That means potential employers, judges, teachers, police officers, can all be consciously or subconsciously affected by the portrayals of teens in the media. I don't know about you, but I definitely don't want the professionals in my life to view me like the teens they see on Skins! 

So what can we do to make a change? To start crafting a solution, let's back up a minute and check out the true definition of what it means to "represent". 

Represent: to be entitled or appointed to act or speak for (someone), esp. in an official capacity

Who can "speak for" you, better than yourself?! When it comes to self-definition, it's time for us to take the power back and let our voices be heard! Dare to speak for yourself, to focus your efforts on Me-Representation. Below are just a few ways you can get started. 

Challenge 1 :: Lookout, Facebook! 

Make a sign that reads, "I am not the media. I am _________". Fill in the blank with any adjective or noun you choose to define yourself as! Then take a picture with the sign and post it to the I AM not the MEdia Facebook page. We will compile all the photos into an album and post it to our blog.

Challenge 2 :: Be Pro-Me!

There's strength in numbers! Check out the I AM not the MEdia gear and if you see something that resonates with you, suit up! Join the team of I AM not the MEdia youth who are choosing to positively define themselves rather than be silenced by the media.  

Thanks for reading!!

Written By: Leah Burleson

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Will definitely make the sign. But, just in case, aggravate me about it in a few days if I haven't yet. :)

    I have so much to say it could be it's own blog post, so that's probably what it will be - linked back here. Thanks for the inspiration. Looks like a great (and important) film.

    If we don't identify this kind of thing as a problem, we will never make it stop and we will raise another generation thinking this is "the way it is", and as woman and a mother of a young girl, that's not okay, that's not good enough.

    ReplyDelete